Faculty of Physical Education & Performing Arts
Mr S Perry - Head of Faculty
Miss S Roberts (0.8) - KS4 co-ordinator
Mrs C Mellor (0.6) - KS3 co-ordinator
Mr C Rowley
Mr J Dixon (0.4)
Mrs L McKiernan (0.8)
Mrs K Soulsby (0.6)
A high-quality Physical Education curriculum provides the foundations for understanding the capabilities of the human body through a varied activity content founded upon the gospel values of mutual respect. We believe in giving all pupils the opportunity to discover and develop their physical potential through a balanced and developmental programme of activities. We do so in the belief that physical education in a safe, supportive and challenging environment is a vital component in the development of all pupils' physical and emotional health and well-being. We hope to encourage enjoyment, tolerance, co-operation and the development of expertise through our PE curriculum.
We strive to achieve the following for our pupils:
- Enable all pupils to experience and enjoy a wide range of sporting activities.
- To develop a love of PE and Sport regardless of previous experiences.
- Promote the importance of adopting a healthy lifestyle and highlight the benefits of physical activity on the body
- Provide extra-curricular opportunities for pupils to pursue their interests in sport and physical activity
- Develop pupil's spiritual, moral, social and cultural experiences through intra and inter school sport competitions
- Allow pupils to gain coaching and leadership experience when working with young children through PE and school sport
- Enable pupils to work independently and as part of a team in variety of activities
- To continue to develop community club links including links to clubs suitable for development of our high achieving national hopefuls
- allow all pupils to have equal access to PE and school sport, irrespective of their ethnic origin, religion, sexuality or academic ability through varied teaching methods and resources
- We adopt a 'Sport for All' ethos where we actively promote 100% participation
Students can progress from this subject to:
- Level 3 Qualifications in Sport, for example: L3 BTEC Sport and A-Level PE
- Apprenticeships where offered in sports based background
- Coaching opportunities that could lead to Sports Development roles.
KS3 Curriculum 2020-2021
Year 7, 8 and 9
In Year 7, 8 and 9 pupils follow the National Curriculum. They will build on the physical development and skills learned in key stage 2 and become more competent, confident and expert in their techniques, applying them across a range of different sports and physical activities.
KS4 Curriculum 2020-2021
Year 10 and 11
All students receive the DfE recommended 2 hours of Core PE per week (non-examined). In addition to this, KS4 Pupils may also opt for examination PE. Our current examination offer is:
Extra-Curricular Sport at St Peter's
St. Peter's has a fantastic reputation for sport, an achievement that regularly sees us placed in the top 100 state schools for sport. We have produced National Champions in Athletics, Basketball, Cheerleading and Rugby League. We also compete regularly on the Regional stage, achieving a high level of success across a wide range of sports.
We have strong links with Salford RLFC, Manchester Magic Basketball and Sale Harriers Athletics. These links provide an outlet for our talented athletes to further their achievement.