Travel and Tourism
Travel & Tourism
Faculty of Humanities
Mrs R McElhone - Head of Faculty
Mrs J Illidge
We strive to prepare our learners for the world of work by developing transferrable vocational/employability skills. These skills will support learners planning to enter employment in the travel and tourism sector or who wish to progress to further vocational qualifications at college and university. Our learners develop a range of personal skills and attributes needed in the work place. We encourage learners to work effectively in teams as well as becoming independent learners. Learners are well supported within our inclusive department.
Our aim is to inspire and enthuse pupils by providing a comprehensive and challenging programme that will:
- give pupils the opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of the travel and tourism sector
- develop relevant skills in the travel and tourism sector
- provide pupils with a route through education that has clear progression pathways into further study or an apprenticeship
KS4 Curriculum 2018-2019
During Yr 9, learners study "tasters" on Travel and Tourism, where they develop a knowledge and understanding of the essential learning in this subject. Lessons are delivered incorporating a wide range of teaching and learning techniques, allowing all learners to engage and succeed. Progress is monitored through regular assessments.
Learners will be given the opportunity to experience different elements of Travel and Tourism not only within the classroom setting, but also through educational visits. We feel these enriching activities are essential if learners are to develop the necessary level of knowledge and understanding of the subject.
Learners are registered onto the BTEC Award programme and begin to work on the BTEC units. In Yr 10, pupils cover 2 core units:-
- Unit 1 - The UK Travel and Tourism Sector. This unit introduces learners to the travel and tourism sector. They will discover how important the T&T sector is to the UK economy. They will also learn about different types of tourism and reasons for travel and see how technology is changing the T&T industry. This unit will be externally assessed through a public exam.
- Unit 2 - UK Travel and Tourism Destinations. This unit examines how visitors travel to, around and from the UK. Learners study a variety of UK tourist attractions and destinations, examining their appeal. Leaners will plan routes and holidays for different types of tourists with different needs.
Learners will complete 2 optional units from the following:-
- Unit 3 - The Development of Travel and Tourism in the UK. This unit looks at how the UK Travel and Tourism industry has been shaped by developments, lifestyle changes and trends. Learners will also examine a variety of issues that have impacted on the development of the sector.
- Unit 4 - International Travel and Tourism Destinations. In studying this unit, learners will locate and investigate destinations around the world, examining their features and appeal to different types of visitors. Learners will plan routes and holidays which will help develop their knowledge of international travel.
- Unit 5 – Factors affecting Worldwide Travel and Tourism. In this unit, learners will study climatic conditions that affect travel and tourism around the world. They will develop an awareness of varying climatic conditions in different parts of the world.
- Unit 6 – The Travel and Tourism Customer Experience. In this unit, learners will look at the definition of customer service and what the main aims of customer service are. Learners will look at different types of customers, both internal and external to travel and tourism organisations.
Assessment: Unit 1 is assessed externally through a paper-based examination which makes up 25% of marks. The other units make up 75% of the marks and are delivered and assessed internally, with a sample of each being externally assessed for quality assurance.