Corona Virus Update (19/03/20)
Update from the Headteacher (19/03/20)
As you will be aware the government is stepping up its response to the coronavirus. We understand that the government will be reviewing a decision regarding school closures and they will inform us of the decision. In the meantime, St Peter’s remains open as usual. We are, however, now moving to a ‘core business only’ policy. Lessons and internal activities will continue, but we are cancelling or postponing non-essential events which might precipitate the spread of any illness. That includes sports fixtures, parents’ evenings and meetings, drama events and domestic trips.
What are we doing at school to help manage the risk?
We are following the advice and asking parents/carers to also support us in implementing the following strategies:
- The advice to students is that they should stay at home if they are unwell with a new, continuous cough or a high temperature to avoid spreading infection to others. From Monday 16th March the guidance states that students should be at home for 14 days. In addition, anyone who lives with someone with symptoms should also self-isolate for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill.
- Parents/carers will be contacted and asked to collect their child and take them home for self-isolation for 14 days should they start to present with symptoms whilst in school.
- We will be continuing to remind students to wash their hands throughout the day, especially before and after breaks and before and after eating, and catch coughs and sneezes in tissues. Please provide tissues to your child.
- We have implemented additional cleaning across the school, especially on door handles, door plates and light switches.
- We have, as mentioned earlier, postponed or cancelled any events that may cause increased risk.
- Please check our website each day, where we will keep you informed with the most recent information. If any students are asked to work from home school work will be available on the VLE.
This, as you will appreciate, is a very difficult time for everyone and we are doing all we can to safeguard our school community.
Full government guidance is updated on a daily basis and can be found here: